...through my garden!
April is finally here and my gift certificate for Bachmann's (a garden center) is burning a hole in my wallet! But where do I begin?! This year we're planning to mainly work on our vegetable garden. We'd like to build some raised beds for tomatoes, beans, lettuce and such things and plant some berries by the fence. But I like flowers, too. And a good part of our yard is pretty naked and in need of some nice shade trees. I can't forget fruit trees! Oh, where to begin.
So back to "Little Bunny Foo Foo". We have large community of rabbits in our neck of the woods and, of course, they seem to prefer the grass inside the fenced "garden" area. Jer has noticed that lately they seem to pause and wave at us up in the window as they munch away. I suggested a few chickens to peck at our furry friends might do the trick. I don't think Jeremy appreciated the idea too much, because he just pulled out the Encyclopedia of Country Living (excellent book, by the way!) to look for an answer. Did you know that rabbits are not rodents? They're "lagomorphs". Another fact: just like deer, a male rabbit is called a "buck", and a female is a "doe", but a baby is a "kit" or "bunny". Also, rabbits can be litter box trained!!
Well, now you know everything (and maybe more) that you ever wanted to know about rabbits! Aside from getting chickens, any ideas for keeping them out of the fenced in area??
Speaking of bunnies....if you are so fortunate to get your hands on a chocolate Easter bunny, be sure to eat the ears first! (I hear they're best!) And don't worry about fat or calories. I recently heard that "a balanced diet is chocolate in both hands"!!
WELCOME to Liberty Christian Academy! That's our home school name and this is our blog - celebrating what we're learning and our time spent together. THIS is the good stuff - the ambrosia of life!
4.05.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
We had bunnies growing up and they can be litter box trained. As far as keeping the bunnies away from the garden, our neighbor once told us to sprinkle soap shavings on the plants. Turns out the husband told Jason he had been killing them with a pellet gun for the last couple of years. I guess soap doesn't really work...
Love the idea for a balanced diet!
Rachel - I came across your blog and wanted you to know that I enjoyed reading it and seeing some pics of your kids - cute!
please don't hate me! I "tagged" you. see my blog for rules.
Post a Comment